The Republican attack machine was operating at full steam in their criticism of Barack Obama as not having enough experience to be President. Then Senator John McCain, the Republican nominee for President, chose Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska as his running mate. Now we find all of the Republican strategists bowing at the alter of Andy of Mayberry. This is not just one candidate flip-flopping on an issue – the entire party has flip-flopped. Have they no shame? No they do not. The Republicans have hit the bottom of shameful behavior.
Shame permeates this election cycle:
- The defense of Big Oil Companies is shameful.
- The Karl Rove politics of mud slinging with lies and innuendo is shameful
- The failure to recognize science and further contributing to global climate change.
- The defense of tax breaks for companies that send American jobs overseas is shameful.
- The failure of this administration to enforce regulation of the mortgage industry is shameful.
- The failure of the Republicans to monitor, let alone regulate, predatory lenders is shameful.
- The failure of intelligence that led to long term war, killing thousands of American troops, is shameful.
- The failure to adequately care for the wounded soldiers coming home from war is shameful.
- The failure to capture of kill Osama Bin Laden is shameful.
- The failure to acknowledge science again – promoting creationism in public schools.
- The failure of the war in Afghanistan is shameful.
- The failure to protect the Bill of Rights is shameful.
- The failure to engage the world community in the battle with criminal terrorists is shameful.
- The failure to defend the working class of America is shameful.
- The failure to separate Church and State is shameful.
The Republican Party is shaming America on the world stage. ‘Screw them,’ the Republicans say. ‘They are either with us or against us.’… ‘Don’t like it, bring it on.’
Governor Sarah Palin never had a passport until 2007. She had never traveled outside of this country. The world has something like 160 to 170 recognized countries. These countries have encompass a huge spectrum of government ideals and cultural values. There has not been a successful President in the modern era (20th Century) who was not well traveled before becoming President. The least traveled of all modern Presidents is George W. Bush. This speaks to a fundamental lack of curiosity about the world. Curiosity is fundamental to intelligence.
The Republican President Teddy Roosevelt claimed a great leader needed two things to be successful – the intelligence to recognize a problem and the courage to fix the problem. This writer adds the quality of integrity to that equation. We have seen what happens when we elect a President who lacks fundamental curiosity about the world around him.
The promotion of Sarah Palin as being qualified to be President is shameful. This writer feels embarrassed for the Republican hierarchy forced to defend a decision that they know is wrong. The Republican Party was the party of Lincoln, T. R. Roosevelt, and Reagan – men of character and honor and pride. The GOP was once a party of character, honor, and pride. Where is the character, the honor, the pride in the current Republican leadership?
Will the sadness of inept Republican leadership ever end?Book Mark it-> del.icio.us | Reddit | Slashdot | Digg | Facebook | Technorati | Google | StumbleUpon | Window Live | Tailrank | Furl | Netscape | Yahoo | BlinkList